Netgear Extender Setup using WPS (WiFi Protected Security)
- First, to do Netgear Extender Setup using WPS, press the WPS button on the Netgear WiFi Extender.
- Next, press the WPS button on your WiFi Router.
- The WPS LED will light up solid green when a good connection has been established between the Netgear WiFi extender and the WiFi Router.
- If your WiFi router supports the 5GHz band and you wish to extend this band, then repeat the WPS process.
- Next, unplug the Netgear WiFi Extender.
- Place the Extender somewhere between the WiFi router and the area of the house/office with poor network. Wait for the power LED to turn Green.
- Use the Router Link LED to find the optimal position between the router and the extender. If the LED turns amber or green, then the link is good; if it is Red, then plug the extender closer to the router and check the LED colour again.
- Connect the client devise (computer) to the extender using the pre-existing WiFi network. The router will add the extension _5GEXT or _2GEXT
- Make sure to use the same WiFi password as your router.
- If you’re using your cell phone or another mobile devise, then connect to the WiFi in the same room as the router, then walk over to the area with poor network.
- Once your devises are connected check the Client Link LED and make sure the LEDs are solid amber or green. If it is red, then move the client devise closer to the extender until the light turns amber or green.
Manual Netgear Extender Setup using an Ethernet port.
- First, make sure the Netgear Wifi Extender is connected to the wifi router, then obtain an IP address.
- Use an Ethernet cable and connect one end to your Ethernet port, (EX6100, for example), on your computer, then connect the other end to the Netgear Wifi Extender.
- Open a web browser and type, http://myWiFiext.net in the address bar.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter a username and password;
- Username: admin/ Password: password
(Please note: Both, the username and the password are case sensitive)
- Once you have successfully logged in, go to Setup > Wireless Settings.
- Make sure the Password (Network Key) field under Security Options is the same as the router password.
- If the passwords are not the same on the router and the network key, then change it on the network key so that it matches the password of the router. Click Apply.
- Reconnect your WiFi devices to the Netgear WiFi Extender.
Manual Netgear Extender Setup without using an Ethernet Port
- First, reset the Netgear WiFi Extender to the default factory setting by pressing the ‘Factory Settings’ button for seven seconds; this button is located on the side panel of the Netgear WiFi Extender.
- Use the WiFi on your computer to connect to the WiFi Extender.
- Open the web browser on your computer and type, http://myWiFiext.net in the address bar.
- Then, you will be prompted to enter a username and a password.
- Username: admin
- Password: password
- (Both, the Username and the Password are case sensitive.)
- Next, follow the setup wizard to setup the connection to the router. (Do NOT use WPS to connect to your computer)
Finally, reconnect all your devises to your Netgear WiFi Extender.